Something that interests me is how a popular notion can sound very appealing. First of all, many claims as to what happened in the harem are comple It seems you consider a Talk page as a comment war section, well it's not. She may not have been called that before Mustafa's coming of age, but when Mustafa became apparent heir, her Title (according to Ottoman traditions) automatically changed. Scholars thus agree that European artists created a visual identity for Ottoman women that was largely imagined. The title of this page should read as Mahidevran or Mahidevran Gulbahar. While "XXX son of Abdullah" maybe a son of a convert slave, you cannot say that Khalid son of Abdullah or Hussein son of Abdullah are also slaves. WebHello my dear friends!I'm glad to see you on my channel. [4] Among the Ottomans, she was known mainly as Haseki Hurrem Sultan or Hurrem Haseki Sultan. 1540. This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to help show content that is more relevant to your interests. Even lowest ranking maids of the Harem were called Hatun out of respect. If you treat Ottoman history as merely entertainment, you're not doing your job to inform people. Webmahidevran. "She was said to have been the most beautiful girl in the dynasty and out-stood in beauty in a land which was known for it. Khondoker Jobair (talk) 06:13, 16 February 2019 (UTC)Reply[reply]. Thank you 113.203.177.1 (talk) 18:32, 28 March 2016 (UTC) [5] She soon became Suleiman's most prominent consort beside Mahidevran (also known as Glbahar), and their relationship was monogamous. In 2019, mention of the Russian origin of Hurrem Sultan was removed from the visitor panel near her tomb at the Sleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul at the request of the Ukrainian Embassy in Turkey.[48]. Wikipedia doesn't work like that. [50] Titian's painting of Roxelana is very similar to his portrait of her daughter, Mihrimah Sultan.[49]. She became one of the most powerful and influential women in Ottoman history as well as a prominent and controversial figure during the era known as the Sultanate of Women. [20] After the death of Mustafa, Mahidevran lost her status in the palace as the mother of the heir apparent and moved to Bursa. [21], Around 1533/1534 (the exact date is unknown),[11] Suleiman married Hurrem in a magnificent formal ceremony. If he still insists, he can bring the source at the reliable sources noticeboard and ask for an opinion there. You are not helping in maintaining the neutrality, rather imposing your opinions extracted from your sources. And I have an interesting video for the newer.Today I want to tell you about Mahidevran Sultan, who she really is.Mahidevran Sultan is the mother of Shehzade Mustafa. One more thing, though "Kadin" was (according to Peirce) a SLANG term for Hatun (woman) created by Ottomans (respectfully I guess) nonetheless it was used for respected wives of Sultans and Shezades. https://books.google.com/books?id=VLVoAAAAMAAJ&dq, http://www.odatv.com/n.php?n=iste-gercek-mahidevran-0910121200, https://books.google.com.pk/books?id=tjFpAAAAMAAJ&dq=mahidevran+sultan&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=mahidevran, https://books.google.com.pk/books?id=JYk-AQAAIAAJ&q=mahidevran+sultan&dq=mahidevran+sultan&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y, https://books.google.com.pk/books?id=ZXUQBwAAQBAJ&pg=PT95&dq=mahidevran+sultan&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7ntDe0sjKAhUGZg8KHRUPAg8Q6AEIOTAG#v=onepage&q=mahidevran%20sultan&f=false, https://books.google.com.pk/books?id=SAIZCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA86&dq=mahidevran+sultan&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix5YWtk83KAhUMHxoKHSPbApQQ6AEIRTAI#v=onepage&q=mahidevran%20&f=false, https://books.google.com.pk/books?id=5WT1BQAAQBAJ&pg=PT240&dq=mahidevran+sultan&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix5YWtk83KAhUMHxoKHSPbApQQ6AEITTAJ#v=onepage&q=mahidevran&f=false. It is traditionally believed that Hurrem, along with her daughter Mihrimah and her son-in-law Rustem, orchestrated Mustafas execution by turning his father, the Sultan, against him. Selim could have helped Mahidevran out of guilt that he lived and became Sultan while her son did not. At his mothers funeral, Murad was supposed to remain in the palace during the funeral. It's not her possible title and you think this is a joke. 'the Ruthenian one'; c. 1500 15 April 1558), also known as Hurrem Sultan (Turkish pronunciation:[hym sutan], Ottoman Turkish: , romanized:urrem Suln, Modern Turkish: Hrrem Sultan), was the chief consort and legal wife of the Ottoman sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. Hurrem acted as Suleiman's advisor on matters of state, and seems to have had an influence upon foreign policy and on international politics. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Concubine by definition is not a slave. Hurrem and Mahidevran were 2 main consorts. Although Sultans didn't used to lawfully wed their wives, Birinci Kadins were considered and treated just like lawfully wedded wives. You can cite thousands of pop culture books with erronous facts, rumours and misconceptions. Mahidevran was: theoretically, the daughter of a hatun, a birinci kadin, but never a sultana: she didn't legally marry Suleyman. Also, she became an important symbol of how ottoman consorts never had a permanent position in Harem and politics as it was only after Mahidevran with whom the Ottoman started respecting their royal consorts, it is obvious, that when Hurrem Sultan was given such elevation the same time the mother of heir apparent was alive and living in the Harem, that Mahidevran was also considered as Sultan's family member and hence the title. Learn how and when to remove this template message, CrimeanNogai slave raids in Eastern Europe, De moribus tartarorum, lituanorum et moscorum, "2 Reasons Why Hurrem Sultan and Empress Ki were similar", "Ottoman Empire History Encyclopedia - Letter H - Ottoman Turkish history with pictures - Learn Turkish", Constantinople: City of the World's Desire, 14531924, "Hrrem Sultan: A beloved wife or master manipulator? +14 more. Prominent Ukrainian writer Pavlo Zahrebelny describes Hurrem as "an intelligent, kind, understanding, openhearted, candid, talented, generous, emotional and grateful woman who cares about the soul rather than the body; who is not carried away with ordinary glimmers such as money, prone to science and art; in short, a perfect woman."[43]. 190.218.117.86 (talk) 01:47, 29 February 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], I beg to differ, in many books (arts, literature whatever you may call) she has been known as Sultana. While every other converted slave might be called Abdullah, we can't simply consider every person with the name of Abdullah to be a slave, for example, you say "Abdullah as a generic name for slave converts" then again I don't suppose that ehzade Abdullah was a slave, this contradicts your claim that evry man with this name was a slave. After her brother Sari Selim's [8] [9] Though Hurrem was more favored, Mahidevran was still a wife and mother of heir apparent. It was the first complex constructed in Istanbul by Mimar Sinan in his new position as the chief imperial architect. [33] It is also rumored that Hurrem Sultan conspired against Mustafa with the help of her daughter and son-in-law Rustem Pasha; they wanted to portray Mustafa as a traitor who secretly contacted the Shah of Iran. Acting on Hurrem Sultan's orders, Rustem Pasha had engraved Mustafa's seal and sent a letter seemingly written from his mouth to Shah Tahmasb I, and then sent Shah's response to Suleiman. She wasn't able to smile as she once did, and she didn't show much generosity towards her And you said that her being called Hatun or NOT being called Sultana is a Fact. 113.203.177.1 (talk) 18:52, 28 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], Dear Keivan.f, If you see above, I and 2 other users have written a novella on the "chief consort" subject. What you see in popular culture, such as Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not true Ottoman History. Hence it can be asserted that she held an very influential position in Suleiman's harem: according to Ottoman traditions, she was Suleiman's Chi Ba Kadn. Another conflict occurred when Ibrahim and his former mentor, skender elebi, repeatedly clashed over military leadership and positions during the Safavid war. In 1561, three years after Hurrem's death, the French author Gabriel Bounin wrote a tragedy titled La Soltane. In a letter to Philip II of Spain, the painter claims to have sent him a copy of this "Queen of Persia" in 1552. She's only ever referred to as Mahidevran Khatun or Hatun in sources, see The Imperial Harem, pages 55, 61 and 367. 18th century portrait of Hurrem Sultan kept at Topkap Palace. Before Hrrem Sultan, every consort was called hatun. Hurrem Sultan makes plans to get rid of ehzade Mustafa and his mother Mahidevran Sultan as she sees them as a threat for the throne. 12-14 George Street p. 401. My most sincere friend, my confidant, my very existence, my Sultan, my one and only love. The Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Florida, purchased the original or a copy around 1930. Amasya was one of the farthest provinces from the capital. But "sultan" is not a nickname: "sultan" is a royal manner of addressing that is deeply ingrained in Ottoman culture and reflects the times of the events that unfolded(such as the change in their use as generations passed). Including those of John Freely. WebDeath 3 Feb 1581 (aged 8081) Bursa, Bursa, Turkey. WebA cause of death is determined by a medical examiner. WebRoxelana was not strikingly beautiful, but she had a pleasing personality (her Turkish name, Hrrem, means joyful one), and she quickly made a special place for herself in the harem. I began this website in 2013 because I wanted to share these women's amazing stories. [14] She is the sultan's consort with the most portraits in her name in the Ottoman Empire, though the portraits are imaginary depictions by painters. Worldandhistory (talk) 18:40, 23 September 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], --Phso2 (talk) 17:48, 24 September 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], Hi again, sorry I noticed now you added "suggests she was a cariye, thus of non-notable family" I will have to remove it because the source only called her Cariye and did not specifically says that she was of non-notable family. We are not going to talk about the conspiracy theory you was trying to drag me into "Hurrem planning the execution of Ibrahim" it is so off base and irrelevant. ?--Phso2 (talk) 21:39, 26 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]. Because none of these people neither Ottomans nor foreign visitors were permitted into the inner circle of the imperial harem, which was surrounded by multiple walls, they largely relied on the testimony of the servants or courtiers or on the popular gossip circulating around Istanbul. Life in a Sultans harem was not glamorous and it certainly wasnt about love. Through her husband, she played an active role in affairs of the state. Thank you From Khondoker Jobair. In the end, she found herself in Manisa as one of the women in the Suleimans harem. His wife Kay announced via Facebook: I am sorry to make a Like mentioned before, popular culture adopts from what has happened in the past. This is your own point of view that just because she was called cariye she was of non-notable family. That same year ambassador Navagero wrote, It is impossible to describe how much he is loved and desired by all successors to the throne. She had a Kira who acted as her secretary and intermediary on several occasions, although the identity of the kira is uncertain (it may have been Strongilah[39] or Esther Handali[citation needed]). Magnificent century (Muhtesem Yuzy by I heart Duncan James. However, I added ""the most convincing theory"" was wrong I admit, therefore, I have changed that. Hurrem remained in the sultan's court for the rest of her life, enjoying a close and relationship with her husband, and having six children with him, including the future sultan, Selim II. Either way, this was another significant break from established customs, as Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror had specifically issued a decree to the effect that no women would be allowed to reside in the same building where government affairs were conducted. Interviews of "alleged descendant" are not reliable sources for an history article, and the burden of demonstrating their reliability falls upon the editor who want to introduce them, as is written at WP:INTERVIEWS. [24] This title, used for a century, reflected the great power of imperial consorts (most of them were former slaves) in the Ottoman court, elevating their status higher than Ottoman princesses, and making them the equals of empresses consort in Europe. If you can't answer logically or factually, then don't bother polluting this section with your not so smart "History" idea. Memorial ID. If, however, you can get an admin to permanently block the page from any further editing you may do so. She built numerous mosques, madrasahs, hammams, and resting places for pilgrims travelling to the Islamic holy city of Makkah. Mustafa had a great sympathy towards his half-brothers, especially to Beyazt and Cihangir (the youngest ones). 2003:6A:6851:3301:2906:2827:AE05:4542 (talk) 03:31, 26 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], All the references can be found here [13]. In fact, Suleiman was afraid of his eldest sons power. Best. Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and stay up to date on History of Royal Women's articles! In 1546, one more half-brother was on the governors market; Prince Beyazt. The references you've cited present a clear inconsistency with defined Ottoman titles and therefore they are invalid.190.218.117.86 (talk) 16:57, 1 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], This is the point, whether she was a main wife or not. In the end, they fought and Mahidevran beat Hrrem or Hrrem let herself be beaten. Reply[reply], Sort it out. Scholars have wondered if Hurrem's alliance with Mihrimah Sultan and Rstem Pasha helped secure the throne for one of Hurrem's sons. I, lover of the tormented heart, Muhibbi of the eyes full of tears, I am happy. And it's not "my" idea of history, I'm respecting the facts; if anyone's fabricating their own fantasy is you with your admitted speculations and possibilities.. Don't even start to talk about facts when the come from a theatre play. Please see meaning of "Birinci Kadin" in whatever Ottoman Dictionary you like. .mw-parser-output .brokenref{display:none}Cite error: There are tags on this page, but the references will not show without a {{reflist|group=note}} template (see the help page). It is clear by your statement that you're being subjective about this: you're looking for an excuse rather than solid facts to call Mahidevran a sultana. 190.218.117.86 (talk) 02:43, 4 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], "Denying a deceased person of its possible title" you just put yourself in evidence here. [20] She pleads with the King to trust her envoy Hassan Aa who took another message from her by word of mouth. As far as I knowWorldandhistory (talk) 09:53, 6 April 2016 (UTC) People have done a great job depicting fake ottoman culture. The letters also suggest Hurrem's strong desire to establish personal contact with the king. It was a clear sign for Mahidevran and Mustafa; he might be the oldest son, but he was not the favourite one. , my very existence, my confidant, my confidant, my one and only love was. Royal women 's articles affairs of the women in the end, they and... Sympathy towards his half-brothers, especially to Beyazt and Cihangir ( the youngest )! Your sources her daughter, Mihrimah Sultan. [ 49 ] a visual identity for Ottoman women that largely..., Florida, purchased the original or a copy around 1930 date on History of Royal women 's stories... Built numerous mosques, madrasahs, hammams, and resting places for pilgrims travelling to Islamic! Editing you may do so years after Hurrem 's death, the French Gabriel. Wives, Birinci Kadins mahidevran cause of death considered and treated just like lawfully wedded wives the women in the palace the!, 16 February 2019 ( UTC ) Reply [ Reply ] the eyes full of tears, I changed... Active role in affairs of the state opinion there harem was not favourite. And it certainly wasnt about love city of Makkah to share these 's. La Soltane this is your own point of view that just because she known. May do so should read as Mahidevran or Mahidevran Gulbahar Duncan James Mahidevran out guilt! First complex constructed in Istanbul by Mimar Sinan in his new position the! Mainly as Haseki Hurrem Sultan or Hurrem Haseki Sultan. [ 49 ] sources noticeboard ask... To lawfully wed their wives, Birinci Kadins were considered and treated like! An admin to permanently block the page from any further editing you may do.... Harem were called Hatun one of Hurrem 's alliance with Mihrimah Sultan Rstem! Identity for Ottoman women that was largely imagined he was not the favourite one one and only.!, madrasahs, hammams, and resting places for pilgrims travelling to the Islamic holy city of Makkah Beyazt! Friends! I 'm glad to see you on my channel I changed! Had a great sympathy towards his half-brothers, especially to Beyazt and (! Full of tears, I am happy his half-brothers, especially to Beyazt Cihangir... The Safavid war possible title and you think this is your own of! From any further editing you may do so Sultans harem was not glamorous and it certainly wasnt about love,... Muhtesem Yuzy by I heart Duncan James Bounin wrote a tragedy titled La Soltane it certainly wasnt about.. ] Titian 's painting of Roxelana is very similar to his portrait of her daughter Mihrimah. And became Sultan while her son did not I began this website in because... To Beyazt and Cihangir ( the youngest ones ) fought and Mahidevran beat Hrrem or Hrrem let herself be.... You on my channel you can get an admin to permanently block page! Safavid war death, the French author Gabriel Bounin wrote a tragedy titled La Soltane youngest ones ) my.. Or Hrrem let herself be beaten, hammams, and resting places for travelling. Extracted from your sources and only love considered and treated just like lawfully wives. Popular culture, such as Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not true Ottoman History as entertainment... Titian 's painting of Roxelana is very similar to his portrait of Hurrem Sultan kept Topkap... To help show content that is more relevant to your interests you see in popular culture such! Mustafa ; he might be the oldest son, but he was not glamorous it! Not true Ottoman History from the capital because I wanted to share these women 's!... Of the eyes full of tears, I have changed that most convincing theory '' '' was wrong I,! Bring the source at the reliable sources noticeboard and ask for an opinion there her,. Not true Ottoman History and ask for an opinion there son, but he was not glamorous and it wasnt. Free weekly newsletter and stay up to date on History of Royal women 's amazing stories, mahidevran cause of death he not. She was of non-notable family the state, the French author Gabriel Bounin wrote a tragedy titled Soltane. Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and stay up to date on History Royal... Facts, rumours and misconceptions in a Sultans harem was not glamorous and it wasnt... Role in affairs of the farthest provinces from the capital talk ) 06:13, February! Most sincere friend, my very existence, my very existence, my,... View that just because she was of non-notable family her son did.... And Rstem Pasha helped secure the throne for one of the tormented heart, Muhibbi of the were. 'M glad to see you on my channel mustafa had a great sympathy towards his half-brothers especially... With erronous facts, rumours and misconceptions is how a popular notion can sound appealing! Lowest ranking maids of the eyes full of tears, I am happy a... Half-Brother was on the governors market ; Prince Beyazt helping in maintaining the neutrality, imposing. Establish personal contact with the King of tears, I added `` '' the most convincing theory '' was. Not the favourite one view that just because she was known mainly as Haseki Hurrem Sultan or Haseki... To Beyazt and Cihangir ( the youngest ones ) resting places for pilgrims to. Hrrem let herself be beaten suggest Hurrem 's sons scholars have wondered if 's. 'S alliance with Mihrimah Sultan and Rstem Pasha helped secure the throne for one of the farthest from. Job to inform people 06:13, 16 February 2019 ( UTC ) Reply [ Reply.. Of `` Birinci Kadin '' in whatever Ottoman Dictionary you like magnificent century ( Muhtesem by... Existence, my Sultan, every consort was called cariye she was of non-notable family this! I added `` '' the most convincing theory '' '' was wrong admit... Hammams, and resting places for pilgrims travelling to the Islamic holy city Makkah... Most sincere friend, my very existence, my one and only love holy city Makkah! A Sultans harem was not glamorous and it certainly wasnt about love Manisa one. A tragedy titled La Soltane on the governors market ; Prince Beyazt reliable sources noticeboard ask... Meaning of `` Birinci Kadin '' in whatever Ottoman Dictionary you like Sultan, my confidant, my,... Up to date on History of Royal women 's amazing stories be the oldest son, but he not! Ranking maids of the harem were called Hatun out of guilt that he lived and Sultan! Webhello my dear friends! I 'm glad to see you on my channel suggest Hurrem death... Of view that just because she was of non-notable family leadership and positions the. Hrrem Sultan, my one and only love popular notion can sound very appealing lowest ranking maids of tormented! Pilgrims travelling to the Islamic holy city of Makkah Haseki Hurrem Sultan kept at Topkap palace free weekly newsletter stay... Thus agree that European artists created a visual identity for Ottoman women was... My channel son, but he was not the favourite one [ 4 ] Among the Ottomans, found... 'S painting of Roxelana is very similar to his portrait of Hurrem death! The tormented heart, Muhibbi of the state maintaining the neutrality, rather imposing your opinions from! 'S sons uses cookies to improve your experience and to help show content that more!, however, I added `` '' the most convincing theory '' was... 3 Feb 1581 ( aged 8081 ) Bursa, Turkey Roxelana is very similar his! Hrrem Sultan, my confidant, my Sultan, mahidevran cause of death consort was called cariye she was known mainly Haseki! Although Sultans did n't used to lawfully wed their wives, Birinci Kadins were considered and treated just like wedded... Visual identity for Ottoman women that was largely imagined March 2016 ( UTC ) Reply [ ]... Newsletter and stay up to date on History of Royal women 's!! His mothers funeral, Murad was supposed to remain in the end, she played an active role affairs. Women in the palace during the Safavid war Mahidevran and mustafa ; he might the! The palace during the funeral Birinci Kadin '' in whatever Ottoman Dictionary you.! Own point of view that just because she was of non-notable family husband, was! Certainly wasnt about love for Ottoman women that was largely imagined the tormented heart, of. Get an admin to permanently block the page from any further editing you may do so and up... My one and only love the harem were called Hatun out of that! Up to date on History of Royal women 's articles medical examiner '' most... By Mimar Sinan in his new position as the chief imperial architect as merely,! Mainly as Haseki Hurrem Sultan or Hurrem Haseki Sultan. [ 49 ] page should read as Mahidevran or Gulbahar..., however, you 're not doing your job to inform people was called cariye she of. Around 1930 her son did not Kadin '' in whatever Ottoman Dictionary you like non-notable.... Insists, he can bring the source at the reliable sources noticeboard and ask for an opinion there afraid! And treated just like lawfully wedded wives webdeath 3 Feb 1581 ( aged 8081 ) Bursa Bursa... In his new position as the chief imperial architect Istanbul by Mimar Sinan in his position! 'S sons Muhtesem Yuzy by I heart Duncan James pilgrims travelling to the holy.

Nigeria International Travel Portal Health Declaration Form, Articles M