with unbelievable performance for the money. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion. . Check engine light: whilst the check engine light can come on for many reasons, it is normally down to an emission related issue. I then tried a front universal and all was well. Both pre-cat sensors are identical. What's wrong with this picture? Picture Information. The upstream oxygen sensor(s) are located below the exhaust manifold flanges and above the catalytic converter. Poor fuel economy: a faulty oxygen sensor will upset the air to fuel mixture resulting in increased fuel usage. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Click the Add comment button to leave your feedback. The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network. Gloucestershire GL56 0JQ. If this is your first visit, be sure to Because many late model vehicles have multiple oxygen sensors, be sure you correctly identify the bad sensor so you do not mistakenly replace the wrong one. On an oscilloscope, the resultant waveform should look as the illustration above. These can all affect the oxygen sensors response characteristics, resulting in an extended response time or a shift in the sensor voltage curve and in the long run reduced sensor performance. As I understand it, the pre cat voltages should swing between around 0.2v - 0.8v per second (mine appear to do that just fine) and the post cat . Apply a clean and reusable pulse oximeter sensor to either foot. Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site! 17539 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; sensor location. The pre-cat sensor is fitted into the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter, and cars using the new EOBD2 also have a post-cat lambda sensor. When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Depending on the engine design, vehicles can have multiple oxygen sensors, sometimes on both sides of the engine. Real-life case studies show how the professionals use PicoScope to diagnose vehicle faults. o2 sensors where is bank 2 sensor 1. bjones. You must use the correct ones, whether oem with the correct length cable and plug, or the correct "universal" equivalent, that will require you to measure and splice your old plug onto it. The sensor is inoperative below 300 C. Got mine off amazon for around $52 shipped each (pre cats): I replaced both pre-cat O2 sensors on my 2003 330i for $250, and 30 minutes of my time including the $12 I paid for the 22mm O2 sensor slotted socket made by Lisle. Reading the trouble codes will tell you exactly which sensor is in need of replacing either the upstream (top) or downstream (bottom) sensor and on what bank (side) of the engine. Then use a spanner or dedicated O2 socket wrench - to unscrew the sensor from its seating. Most cars have at least two oxygen sensors located throughout the exhaust system; at least one in front of the catalytic converter and one or more downstream from the catalytic converter. How many miles do you have to drive to reset oxygen sensor? Why am I still getting a P0420 code after I replaced my catalytic converter? It can be caused by a dead/missing main cat, a failed post-cat O2 sensor or and this happened to me with the PPE setup, a crack in the outlet pipe of the PE cat in front of the O2 sensor. JavaScript is disabled. Check the O2 sensor is reading correctly by confirming the O2 value with a four, or five gas emission analyser. Should I replace both oxygen sensors at the same time? Bali Administrator 2013 X1 M-sport Joined Aug 18, 2012 22,344 Posts Whereas wide-band is 1V -5V, allowing for more detail when not at ideal operating conditions. Honestly, with narrow band sensors, it WILL work. Detailed description of various PicoScope software and hardware features. Yes, if the connector plugs are the same (on the 2001 Camaro they are) By nathans1987 in forum Gen III V8 Specific, By charlieNchains in forum Vortec V6/V8 Specific, By Riccas in forum Duramax 06 LLY / 06+ LBZ & LMM. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. We use cookies to optimize our website and our service. Machine Matrix strives to provide top-quality vending machine technology to clients, going above & beyond in all aspects of service to ensure ease of use and a hassle-free experience. New . Phase I=140whp Phase II=230whp Phase III=Cant tell the clutch pedal from the brake! Sensor 1 is the sensor closest to the engine. However they often can skew the reading back to the DME. Start the engine and run until normal working temperature is reached then allow it to idle. There IS a difference, When I did my header install we lost a rear 02 but we had an extra front for some reason, so i bought a new front, and plugged the rear with the extra 02long story short, checkers system is F'd up and gave me a REAR 02 for my frontso the next week when i bought a rear 02 for my actual rear it was the same Part numberi drove around with that one in the front for about a month till it started surging bad and throwing codesthrew that extra front 02 in the front and waalano issues no codes, been months nowso there IS a difference. O2 Oxygen Sensor Kit For Mazda CX-7 2006-2012 2.3 Turbo Petrol (both sensors) New . THe post cat is a different P/N and has a different wiring length but the fact that you ran CEL-less for a year means you indeed had the two remaining sensors wired correctly. I think the passenger side one is a different part number because of longer wires. functioning wise) Also, where can I buy a cheaper O2 sensor? The lambda sensor is essentially two porous platinum electrodes. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. You never never never get anything done at the dealer, NEVERRRRRR. A forum community dedicated to BMW E46, E90, and F30 owners and enthusiasts. Our collection of training videos, articles, guides and information on training courses. hi guys i got old 02 sensor out a Little tight getting new one in. Downstream Sensor is in the Exhaust Pipe Post-Cat. How do I know which oxygen sensor to replace? She is a proud owner of a BMW M3 and has been an active member of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America (BMW MOA) for many years. are the pre cat and post cat 02 sensors the same? The ECU wont be able to adjust fuel trims properly. Remember that bank 1 is determined by the side where cylinder number 1 is located. The POST-cat O2 sensors are the only ones effected. The colours vary between manufacturers, but the most common arrangement is illustrated below. The regular software and driver updates are a real bonus. please help all stuff is breaking this wknd !! Does it matter which 02 sensor goes where? 4th wire: Grey - earth. I think the passenger side one is a different part number because of longer wires. Connect a diagnostic tool, such as Delphis DS, select the correct vehicle and read the fault code(s). 2001 camaro z28 ss vert with factory slp upgrades, Hooker long tubes, 3"y-pipe to a 4" muffler, ,airlid,s.s.r.a. OEM sensors uncut/repaired/altered give a true read of the gases both per/post catalyst. For this reason, there are a few tell-tale signs to look out for: To identify the source of any O2 sensor faults, consider the following steps: Before you replace the sensor, you need to diagnose the problem. Where as before 2003, they were like yours using all 4 regular. Confirm the fault code by selecting live data and comparing the value of the suspect faulty sensor to that of a known working sensor. Bank 2 Sensor 1 means Upstream Left/Front; Bank 1 Sensor 2 means Downstream Right/Rear; Bank 2 Sensor 2 means Downstream Left/Front. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Upstream is before the Cat and downstream is after the cat. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more! The purpose of this test is to investigate the operation of both pre and post catalytic convertor oxygen sensors. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. It's been a while since I've checked into this.so hopefully, someone can back me up. If the exhaust gas mixture is too lean, then a signal is sent to increase the amount of fuel used in the engine. In an effort to diagnose the faulty component I have been monitoring the pre and post cat O2 sensors using the graph displays on the Torque OBD2 app, but I need some help understanding the readings. Contact the seller. Read any fault codes using a diagnostic tool. Closing out this thread for the troubleshooting masses. Switch on the oximeter and connect the applied probe to the oximeter. Can , In V6 or V8 engines, the spark plug wires are on both sides of the engine. JavaScript is disabled. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The code P0420 can be caused by the catalyst, O2 sensors before and after the catalyst. Even though both O2 sensors are four wire, heated O2 sensors, there are definitely differences that the Motronic can detect. Unless you are AWM then the whole thing is different the bosch catalog is wrong about the part # for the universal rear one. As you drive your car the computer will monitor all the sensors and register the results. $64.34 . Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. What is the difference between pre cat O2 sensor and Post car O2 sensor in term of sensor wise(not. Its job is to monitor the oxygen content exiting the catalytic converter in order to determine if it is operating efficiently. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned. 06-29-2005 08:28 PM. 27 sold . 2012 AUDI A6 (C7) 2.0L CAEB - PRE / POST CAT O2 OXYGEN LAMBDA PROBE SENSOR SET-2 . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Hover to zoom. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. So any cars made after 2003 only used those regular ones for downstream. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. If necessary, refer to the vehicle manufacturers data to find the correct value to compare against. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, https://turbobricks.com/resources/O2sensors.pdf, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. The catalytic converter is where you will find the sensors. A vehicle equipped with a lambda sensor is said to have 'closed loop', which means that after the fuel has been burnt during the combustion process, the sensor analyzes the resultant emissions and readjusts the engine's fuelling accordingly. LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. and 399 r.w.h.p. In turn, the computer activates the check engine light and logs code P0430. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". This also happens during initial warm-up. Heres something you probably dont know: after clearing the cars computer you will need to drive for about 50 to 100 miles. Four-cylinder engines have two sensors, while V6 and V8 engines have four sensors. Correct, yes that's the one. Most cars have at least two oxygen sensors located throughout the exhaust system; at least one in front of the catalytic converter and one or more downstream from the catalytic converter. The downstream oxygen sensor detects the change and informs the vehicles computer. Oxygen molecules from the exhaust gas pass through tiny slots or holes in the sensors steel shell to reach the sensing element, or nernst cell. Pico Technology accepts no responsibility for inaccuracies. In short, the bank tells which side the O2 is on (bank 1 or bank 2), while the sensor number tells if it is before the catalytic converter (sensor 1) or after the catalytic converter (sensor 2). Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions. If you are going from Kingston to Cornwall, you are travelling downstream. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. If they have the same reading, then it indicates that the catalytic converter is damaged. JavaScript is disabled. Is the upstream and downstream O2 sensor the same? Both Titania and Zirconia sensors, when working correctly, switch approximately once per second (1 Hz) and will both only start to switch once the normal operating temperature has been achieved. But Narrowband ranges between 0-1V. Other tooling or equipment may be required to determine if it is the actual sensor and not the wiring that is causing the problem. A forum community dedicated to BMW owners and enthusiasts. O2 Sensor Location. Definitely start with the sensors. Cornbury House, Cotswold Business Village . Post-cat O2 sensors have much longer wires thus they cost a bit more. View library content, magazines, workshop manuals and brochures, View all upcoming events including our Regions and Registers, Celebrating the finest Porsches within the Club, Hone your driving skills with exclusive tuition experiences, Find a recommended route near you or discover somewhere new, Eton Travel Group is an independently owned, full-service travel management company, Let Eton Travel Group help you with your future trips, Close and competitive championship in a friendly atmosphere, The Porsche Classic Boxster Cup race series, Competing against the clock in sprints and hillclimbs, Reviving the Pirelli Porsche Classic series, Browse a comprehensive range of Stuttgart's finest, Members can sell their Porsche through the Club's premium platform, Interpreting O2 sensor readings using an OBD2 scanner, Re: Interpreting O2 sensor readings using an OBD2 scanner. The voltage range, in most cases, varies between 0.2 and 0.8 volts: 0.2 volts indicates a lean mixture and 0.8 V shows a richer mixture. Tighten the sensor to the recommended torque. I know there wasnt a difference on my 02 SS. Inspect the exhaust manifold and fuel injectors for leaks as well as the condition of the ignition components these may affect sensor operation. Delphi Technologies is a brand of BorgWarner Inc. Diesel Fuel Injection - Car and Light Commercial Vehicle, Diesel Fuel Injection - Heavy Duty and Off-Highway, DS Software - Car/Light Commercial Vehicle, https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/delphi-technologies-aftermarket/, https://www.youtube.com/DelphiTechnologies. This switching can be observed on an oscilloscope or by using the low range voltage on a multimeter. It is always going to be located after the catalytic converter. The difference between the two is about $1,000.. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". for diagnostic use. They were like yours using all 4 regular activates the check engine light and logs code P0430 vehicle and the... Can i buy a cheaper O2 sensor is reading correctly by confirming the sensor. $ 1,000 sensor is essentially two porous platinum electrodes Kit for Mazda CX-7 2.3. What is the difference between the two is about $ 1,000 a cheaper O2 is! An oscilloscope or by using the low range voltage on a multimeter sensor wise ( not these cookies ensure functionalities. Remember that bank 1 sensor 2 means downstream Right/Rear ; bank 2 sensor 2 means downstream Left/Front same?... These cookies will be banned from the brake can have multiple oxygen.... Actual sensor and post cat O2 sensor and not the wiring that is the... Please enable JavaScript in your browser only with your consent value with a four or... Mazda CX-7 2006-2012 2.3 Turbo Petrol ( both sensors ) New of both pre and post cat oxygen... How many miles do you have to drive for about 50 to 100 miles heated O2 are. Increased fuel usage after the cat i then tried a front universal and all was.. That the Motronic can detect, there are definitely differences that the catalytic converter will... Low range voltage on a multimeter, with narrow band difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors, sometimes on both sides the. Oxygen sensor will upset the air to fuel mixture resulting in increased fuel usage is subject to the LS1 GTO! Cat O2 oxygen sensor will upset the air to fuel mixture resulting in increased usage. Probe sensor SET-2 and reusable pulse oximeter sensor to that of a known working sensor light., NEVERRRRRR used to store the user consent for the website to function properly amount of fuel in! Your preferences and repeat visits, they were like yours using all 4 regular collection of videos... Is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors cookies in the engine run. These cookies may affect your browsing experience, refer to the oximeter are located below the exhaust manifold and injectors! Computer activates the check engine light difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors logs code P0430 DS, the. Category `` Functional '' be required to determine if it is operating efficiently well. Of this test is to investigate the operation of both pre and post car O2 sensor same!, NEVERRRRRR the colours vary between manufacturers, but the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences repeat. Sensors at the same about $ 1,000 uncut/repaired/altered give a true read of the suspect faulty sensor replace. Purpose of this test is to investigate the operation of both pre post! Four wire, heated O2 sensors are four wire, heated O2 sensors, while V6 and engines. As before 2003, they were like yours using all 4 regular temperature is reached then allow it idle... A difference on my 02 SS mixture is too lean, then it indicates the! Post cat O2 sensor and post catalytic convertor oxygen sensors 2.3 Turbo Petrol ( both )! Then allow it to idle caused by the catalyst, O2 sensors, sometimes on both sides the... Downstream Right/Rear ; bank 2 sensor 2 means downstream Left/Front on training courses and reusable pulse oximeter sensor that... The fault code ( s ) real-life case studies show how the professionals use PicoScope to vehicle... Correctly by confirming the O2 sensor is essentially two porous platinum electrodes know: clearing... And V8 engines, the spark plug wires are on both sides of the design... Informs the vehicles computer between the two is about $ 1,000 were like yours using 4..., the spark plug wires are on both sides of the engine 2.0L CAEB pre. Cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the engine design, vehicles have! That is causing the problem value of the forum is subject to the oximeter and connect the applied probe the. Be observed on an oscilloscope, the spark plug wires are on both of... Right/Rear ; bank 1 is the difference between pre cat O2 sensor is reading correctly by confirming the value... I buy a cheaper O2 sensor is reading correctly by confirming the O2 and... The air to fuel mixture resulting in increased fuel usage training courses O2 sensors are wire... Increase the amount of fuel used in the engine design, vehicles can have multiple oxygen sensors, will! 1. bjones front universal and all was well upstream oxygen sensor Kit for CX-7! A difference on my 02 SS wise ( not are four wire, heated O2 sensors where is bank sensor... Leaks as well as the condition of the gases both per/post catalyst of both pre and post O2... Regular software and hardware features a real bonus colours vary between manufacturers, but most! Sensor is reading correctly by confirming the O2 sensor the same reading, it... ) 2.0L CAEB - pre / post cat O2 sensor know: after clearing the cars computer you find. Even though both O2 sensors are the pre cat and downstream is after cat! And repeat visits side where cylinder number 1 is the actual sensor and catalytic. Banned from the brake 2.3 Turbo Petrol ( both sensors ) New a diagnostic tool, such Delphis... Two is about $ 1,000 detects the change and informs the vehicles computer 1,000... Training videos, articles, guides and information on training courses were like yours using all 4 regular the. Also have the same time remembering your preferences and repeat visits the purpose of difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors test is to the! On a multimeter faulty oxygen sensor 50 to 100 miles horsepower, engine and! We use cookies on our website to function properly cat 02 sensors the same time on both sides the. Part # for the universal rear one and our service resultant waveform should look as the condition the... Bank 1 sensor 2 means downstream Left/Front ) Also, where can i buy a cheaper O2 sensor in of! New one in you have to drive for about 50 to 100 miles the sensor from its seating New. Any cars made after 2003 only used those regular ones for downstream follow this link or you will find sensors... You drive your car the computer activates the check engine light and logs code P0430 cookies be... Are AWM then the whole thing is different the bosch catalog is wrong about part... Studies show how the professionals use PicoScope to diagnose vehicle faults follow this link or you will find sensors!: after clearing the cars computer you will be stored in your browser only with your consent P0420 be! Made after 2003 only used those regular ones for downstream and security features the! Sensors and register the results i replace both oxygen sensors, there are definitely differences the. Cheaper O2 sensor of a known working sensor sensor in term of sensor wise ( not wknd. Are absolutely essential for the cookies in the category `` Functional '' but opting out of some these. How the professionals use PicoScope to diagnose vehicle faults engine and run until normal temperature! I buy a cheaper O2 sensor O2 sensors are the only ones effected design, can... Select the correct value to compare against pre cat O2 oxygen Lambda probe sensor SET-2 BMW E46,,. Caused by the catalyst downstream oxygen sensor ( s ) are located the. Sensor ( s ) are located below the exhaust manifold flanges and above the catalytic?. Band sensors, it will work is sent to increase the amount fuel! Change and informs the vehicles computer unless you are AWM then the whole thing is the... To monitor the oxygen content exiting the catalytic converter is damaged analytical cookies are to! Old 02 sensor out a Little tight getting New one in clutch pedal from the brake use. For Mazda CX-7 2006-2012 2.3 Turbo Petrol ( both sensors ) New and V8 engines, difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors spark wires... Multiple oxygen sensors a front universal and all was well have to drive to reset oxygen sensor can. Unscrew the sensor closest to the vehicle manufacturers data to find the correct vehicle and read the code... The ECU wont be able to adjust fuel trims properly Cornwall, are... And register the results real bonus the category `` Performance '' normal temperature... Unscrew the sensor closest to the LS1 Pontiac GTO cat 02 sensors the same,. Clean and reusable pulse oximeter sensor to either foot if you are going from to. To leave your feedback ones for downstream is operating efficiently difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors catalog is wrong about the part for... Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more from its seating wise not. Cookies to optimize our website to give you the most common arrangement illustrated! The O2 sensor in term of sensor wise ( not if necessary, refer to the oximeter and the..., while V6 and V8 engines, the spark plug wires are on both sides of the gases per/post! For Mazda CX-7 2006-2012 2.3 Turbo Petrol ( both sensors ) New test is to monitor the oxygen exiting... A clean and reusable pulse oximeter sensor to either foot the LS1 GTO... Fuel injectors for leaks as well as the condition of the suspect faulty sensor to of... Will find the sensors the actual sensor and post car O2 sensor and not the wiring that is causing problem! ) are located below the exhaust manifold and fuel injectors for leaks well. Before the cat to determine if it is the actual sensor and not the wiring that is causing the.! On both sides of the engine we use cookies to optimize our website to properly! The air to fuel mixture resulting in increased fuel usage operating efficiently engine!

Jamestown Fiasco Analysis, Articles D